Monday, June 22, 2009

Primary

Well, I survived. I know it probably sounds dorky but I was feeling nervous about it all week. Ty refused to go into nursery so he tagged along with me, which may not be so bad since he'll be in there in December. I'll be his sunbeam teacher... that may be tricky since he's so clingy with me, but it may be a good transition for him.
Singing time was neat. They teach the kids one line at a time, so maybe I'll learn some of the primary songs. Then we did a little craft with them for fathers day. I'm not sure if this is the norm, so just because it was a special day. After that we went to our individual classes. I learned that 40 mins is a long time to occupy small children, this is probably going to be the biggest challenge for me. There are about 4-5 kids that will be in there, one of the little girls took me right by the hand, which made me feel great, since I've never thought of myself as someone who little children are drawn too. After the lesson we went in for closing exercises with all of the children from Primary, that again was nice, They had new children so they sang some sort of Welcome song, that everyone seemed to know. I actually felt out of place, then they sang happy birthday, so I thought great... I know happy birthday... but not this version, that's when I wanted to cry. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it & feel better soon. I'm going to search online for ideas for the kids & the neat thing is that I have Ty & we can learn together. There is a great presidency so that will make it nice. They are all women that I feel very comfortable with, they all have great personalities and are so sweet to the children. Like anything new it just takes time to adjust. With team like that I'm sure I'll love it before long. :o)

2 comments:

Nanette said...

Remind me, and we can give you a songbook during primary. You'll discover soon that they really tend to sing the same few songs over and oer. And any of the songs Allie teaches them are new to all of them. You're going to do great!

OlmsteadFamilie said...

Diddo to the above... we sing the same songs which are either the "new" songs or their standard favorites. That and if you go to deseretbooks.com you can find the primary "helper" books plus my fav website for ideas is http://www.sugardoodle.net/mambo/. I am so glad that you have joined our primary family!