Saturday, October 24, 2009

The investigator....

Picture it, you're home on your day off, hair & makeup undone (not that I ever go overboard in that department), laundry is in the process of being sorted, washed, folded & put away, and you hear a knock at the door. At first I thought I was hearing things, it was at the breeze way door via the garage, and anyone that know us that comes in that door usually knocks & comes right in. So I ignored it thinking a family member would be strolling through at any moment. Anyone else would use the front door, which was open right? Wrong. Ty yells "Mommy someone is here" So I rush to the door to discover a gentleman in a suit. He was alone so I knew he wasn't a new Missionary. :o)
He says hello, introduces himself & then says you must be "A..." I say "Adja" then he said and this must be Ty. Its pretty rare to have a perfect stranger come to the door and already know the names of your family members. It then dawned on me that he was the investigator from the

Sheriff's Department.

He wondered if I had a moment, so I invite him into through my breeze way AKA laundry area and into the kitchen. Apologizing all the way. I explained that I was having surgery the next day & was trying to prepare the house & get everything accomplished that I would be unable to do for the next few weeks. He was gracious & said that it was no problem at all & that the house really was finethat "he'd seen much worse" I must admit that it really wasn't that bad, but its always the case to have a stranger stop by completely unannounced & you be completely unprepared. I think they plan it that way. He drove nearly an hour to get here not even knowing if I was home. But I suppose investigators don't call ahead. :0)

He asked me if I was supportive of Scott & his decision to become a sheriff & if I understood that there would be many days, night, holidays etc. that our family would be without him. He even asked if I was prepared or given any thought that he might not come home at all someday. Talk about a speechless moment. I think I passed the test though, as I gave him the best & only answer that I could think of ... that no one is really prepared to loose a spouse at an early age or unexpectedly, but yes, that I understand that "could" happen. I also explained that if Scott gets the position that I won't deny that it will be a HUGE adjustment for our family. Right now he home everyday around the same time, home each night for dinner, bedtime etc. But that we are supporting Scott because this is something he really wants. He isn't doing it for the pay- he makes about the same now- or the insurance- I carry it at work, but he has a real desire to do this. If that is what Scott wants then I am supportive of that, and even though it will require alot from our family we are willing to do that for him. Its called Sacrifice. He nodded & seemed to think that I had the right attitude. He's pleased with Scott and said that he was going to continue the background investigation & hopefully Scott would be placed near the top of the list. I told him that it was nice to see Scott Aka Mr. Calm & Collect actually be excited about something. Scott is about as mellow as they come & I'm the emotional one (no laughing please) :O)
Anyhow I'm excited that things seem to be rolling along for him. Keep your fingers crossed & I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Kari said...

Glad to see things are coming all for Scott. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out. So nice to read your blog and keep up with ya! Love ya! Kari

Missy said...

I hope that means a sherriffs position is in the very near future! Keep me posted. Love you!

Nanette said...

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen Scott excited. In a good way or bad way.
Yay, Scott. It's really nice to have a job you would like to do.